A Brief Guide to China’s Media Landscape – May 2014
The table below shows mainland China’s most important websites, newspapers, and broadcast news organizations, together with numbers for website traffic, circulation and audience.
The numbers are guesstimates based on media reports, listed companies’ public filings, media advertising rate cards, Alexa.com and Danwei interviews with media insiders. We also use numbers from the biannual reports issued by CNNIC, the state-owned Internet statistical organization (their December report is available here
in Chinese only). Like all numbers in China, they should be taken with a pinch of salt, for reference only. This list is updated every three months.
Notes and updates since the last version of this report (published in February 2014
• Weibo use continues to slow after the company’s IPO; their filings state a daily active user count of 61.4 million, but we believe that it is lower than that;
• WeChat use continues to grow, although not at anything near its blazing speed in 2013. The delet...
Recruiting full-time junior researcher in Beijing
Danwei is hiring full-time junior researcher in Beijing. Danwei provides reports on various aspects of China from business and finance to culture for corporate, financial and academic clients. The main responsibility of the junior researcher is to monitor news and social media and conduct research to write daily, weekly and monthly reports for clients. Most reports are in English.
- Good understanding of Chinese Internet, social media, and news media
- Ability to quickly digest a large volume of Chinese-language source material and summarize or translate into English
- Good written English (spoken English a plus but not essential)
- Ability to meet deadlines and work efficiently
- PRC citizen, native Chinese speaker
If you’re interested, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How To Form A China WFOE: Hong Kong Parent Company Is Optional
I was cc’ed on the following email the other day from one of our China lawyers responding to a client who wanted to know the “benefits” of forming a Hong Kong company to own its China WFOE, as opposed to its just forming its China WFOE directly in China. I am publishing it below because... Continue Reading
When To Register Your China Trademark? Ask Tesla.
Electric car maker Tesla Motors is being sued in China for trademark infringement, in what Reuters calls “a surprise development that casts a shadow over CEO Elon Musk’s ambition to expand rapidly in the world’s biggest auto market.” The plaintiff is seeking a court order stopping all Tesla sales and marketing activities in China and... Continue Reading
Nara Day Trip
Although only 45 mins away from Kyoto by train, Nara (奈良市) is often overlooked by time-pressed travellers but, as Japan’s first permanent capital with over 1300 years…